5 Bible Verses on Not Giving Up
“I am not a quitter!”
Do you feel the need to explain to everyone around you that you are not quitting anything but merely taking a break? Do you feel the rock settling in the pit of your stomach when you’ve decided to walk away from yet another job, relationship, or diet plan? Do you ask yourself, “Why do I give up so easily? Why am I such a disappointment?” Well, you are not a disappointment, and everyone struggles with quitting something at some point.
There are several phrases for “to quit”, but to me the phrase “to give up” puts it all in perspective. As I reflect over my life, there are many instances where I simply gave up on someone or something. For example, I gave up pursuing the first boy I thought was “the one” (thank God!); I gave up getting my Master Degree in Art Education (Hallelujah!); I gave up living in Oklahoma…and New York…and Texas (California is much better!). And last but not least, I gave up on my diet and exercise plan (totally need help there!). After 18 years of my adult life being fitness conscious, the last two have been a struggle staying motivated enough to get to the gym. As a result, I’ve gained 30 pounds of weight and self-esteem issues.
I am writing this article, not as a “watch me, I’ve arrived” idol but as a person who is dealing with the struggles of life and the concept of quitting…when to do it and when not to. And the struggle is real! When I want to give up on something I should hold on to, I find strength in the following verses:
- 1 Corinthians 10:13, “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.”
- 2 Chronicles 15:7, But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.”
- 2 Timothy 1:7, “For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.
- Deuteronomy 31:6, “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
- 1 Corinthians 9:24, Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.”
I am often reminded that Jesus was not sent to the strong but to the weak. Like a doctor who makes his rounds tending to the sick, He is daily making His rounds to me with encouragement to help me make it through my day. So when I think I am near the end of my rope, I run to the Rock…the Word of God!
Karla Kelman and her family has been a part of CCV for almost four years. In addition to her career of being a Director of Marketing at Southlands Christian Schools, she is an artist, graphic designer, and a writer of poetry and prose. In her spare time, she loves chilling with her husband, Wil; two kids, Elijah and Jenaeha; lived-in mother-in-law, Victoria and dachshund, Bull.